Cash Analysis FAQ
How is idle cash calculated?
After you add all your bank accounts, we first examine the total cash available across all of these accounts and then subtract the estimated amounts needed for spending and emergencies. Then what cash remains is what we identify as idle cash.
How are spending cash and emergency cash thresholds calculated?
The default values for emergency and spending cash are based on the estimated monthly expenses.
When will the money be invested?
We will open a new Fidelity account on your behalf and invest it. Fidelity will be the custodian of the account and FutureAdvisor will serve as your advisor.
We chose Fidelity because they are one of the most trusted and popular brokerages in the country and their account set up process is completely online for you. We don't get paid by them or make commissions.
How long will this all take?
The investment process from start to end should take 5 business days.
What happens, step-by-step?
- You complete an electronic signature to approve the account
creation and allowing FutureAdvisor to invest on your
- We open an account for you then fund it from your bank
- We invest the cash after it arrives in your new account and monitor it for you.
How do I get my money back if I want to use it later?
You can either go to Fidelity or through FutureAdvisor to withdraw from your portfolio on your own at any time. This takes up to 5 business days for your funds to arrive in your bank account.
What are the fees and associated costs?
There are no fees for opening an investment account. FutureAdvisor will also manage this portfolio for you for free. The funds have low fees (ranging from 0.25%–0.28%) that are the same as whether you buy them yourself anywhere or we buy them on your behalf.
What are the capital gains tax considerations?
Selling your investments that have gained value may cost you money from capital gains taxes, which we always work to minimize. We include capital gains in a cost-benefit analysis for every trade to avoid unnecessary taxes.
- Are you registered with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission?
- What types of investment products do you support?
- I can't find any contact information -- can I speak to a human?
- Where do you get your data for employer-sponsored retirement plans?
- Why do you ask for my age and expected retirement age?
- View all (8 more)
- Why do you recommend selling a fund that has performed well in the past?
- Should I switch to Roth contributions in my 401(k)?
- Why do you recommend buying VEA in a tax-sheltered account?
- How do I determine my risk tolerance?
- Why are you recommending an ETF that has mediocre or even poor performance?
- View all (1 more)
- Does FutureAdvisor provide tax advice?
- Do you take taxes into consideration when allocating between taxable accounts and retirement accounts?
- Your choices when rolling over a 401(k) containing employer stock
- What is a Backdoor Roth? Is a Backdoor Roth IRA right for me?
- Your options for tax efficient educational savings
- View all (6 more)
- Do I need to transfer my accounts?
- Can I transfer one account type into another account type (ex: Roth to an Individual)?
- How long will it take to transfer my money during enrollment?
- Do I have to liquidate my funds in order to transfer them?
- Should I consider taxes when liquidating funds prior to transferring them?
- View all (3 more)
- How is FutureAdvisor’s management fee charged?
- What fees can FutureAdvisor help me reduce or avoid?
- Is FutureAdvisor's Premium management fee included in the retirement projections on my dashboard?
- Can FutureAdvisor's management fee be paid by credit or debit card?
- Why do I have such a high fee score on my dashboard?
- View all (2 more)
- Can FutureAdvisor place specific trades that I request in my account?
- I am holding a Mutual Fund or ETF that I really like, can I hold on to it?
- Will I be able to place my own trades in the accounts that you manage for me?
- How does the algorithm decide how and what to invest in?
- If I sign up, will you do anything other than make the recommended trades you've shown me?
- View all (1 more)
- I already have a 529 plan. Can I roll it over for FutureAdvisor to manage?
- Can I sign up for an education account if I'm already a Premium client?
- Why do you feature the New Hampshire 529 Plan if I’m not living in that state?
- What is the difference between a 529 and a Coverdell? Which does FutureAdvisor recommend?
- View all